The Minister of Education of the City of Buenos Aires, Soledad Acuña, showed the class thread by assuming that the boys who dropped out of school during the pandemic “will surely be lost in some village or in drug trafficking activities” and then consider that “ It’s too late” to go look for them.
In addition to generating a wave of indignation, the prejudiced statements of the PRO official once again brought to the fore one of the most serious problems caused by the pandemic: school dropout.
In this context, the Government came out this Thursday to answer and admitted that there are some 500,000 boys and girls who did not return to class. The person in charge of giving the figure was the Minister of National Education, Jaime Perczyk.
“What we had communicated is that there are still 500,000 children who, in the last records, had not returned or had an intermittent connection,” he told Radio Continental and said that these numbers come from surveys in the provinces. “We communicate reliably with figures from the 24 provinces. Because Argentina is a federal country, that is built by adding figures from 24 provinces,” he added.
Perczyk seemed to make a self-criticism about the closure of schools that was maintained when the minister was Nicolás Trotta. “There are guys who left because we couldn’t give them the chance.”
Taking into account that 3.5% of all primary and secondary students in the country attend schools in Misiones, if the province had the same dropout rate as the country as a whole, it should have 17,500 children and adolescents linked to schools, but the reality is very different: according to official figures released in December, the number of students who did not return to schools in Misiones is 3,200.
In percentage terms, Misiones is responsible for barely 0.6% of the total number of school dropouts in the country and, as already mentioned, 3.5% of the total enrollment.
– missiononline.net (@misiononline) January 21, 2022
“They will be in some village”
The Minister of Education of the city of Buenos Aires, Soledad Acuña, was at the center of the controversy for her statements about the boys who lost continuity of schooling during the pandemic. In her remarks, the official remarked that “it is too late” to try to find those students who were left out during these two years. “Surely they will be lost in some village or in drug trafficking activities,” he added.
Acuña’s controversial statements took place during an interview with Radio Rivadavia. Before the consultation on the measures that the Buenos Aires government will take, within the framework of the return to classes confirmed for next February 21, he alluded to the impact of the pandemic on schooling and educational processes.
In this way, the City Minister of Education indicated that “it is too late” to look for the boys who dropped out of school during the pandemic.
Immediately, Soledad Acuña justified her argument: “Those boys will surely be lost in a village or have already fallen into drug trafficking activities,” she said in the interview.
Then, the Buenos Aires official tried to clarify what she was referring to with her words and explained what she had been referring to, when she spoke about the measures and initiatives of the Ministry of Education in its work to insert the boys who were left out of school during the pandemic. .
“Obviously you have to try, but today it is much more difficult than if decisions had been known and made two years ago,” Acuña clarified, trying to get out of the controversy.